The 10 most visited attractions of Ostuni.
Co-Cathedral of Santa Maria dell’Assunzione of Ostuni built between 1435 and 1495 on the summit of the highest hill in the city. It has a facade in late Gothic style, with concave and convex ends that are more reminiscent of a Greek Orthodox church than a classic Gothic cathedral from the 13th century. The facade has 3 ogival portals, each surmounted by a rose window. The central one – considerably larger – counts 24 beams and is counted among the largest in Europe. The interior, which has undergone a total renovation in the eighteenth century, is distributed over three naves on columns with the classic shape of a Latin cross and in the Baroque style. In 1986 he became co-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Brindisi-Ostuni. Address: Beato Giovanni Paolo II Square, Ostuni, (BR)
Church of S. Vito Martire
Built between 1750 and 1752 on the remains of as many as 3 noble palaces collapsed following the earthquake of 1743, until the early 70s it was the seat of the adjoining convent of the Carmelite nuns of Clausura. Following the abandonment by the cloistered nuns, he saw the transfer of ownership to the Municipality of Ostuni. The interiors see a mix of architectural styles ranging from neoclassical to rococo. It was indeed the master sculptor Francesco Morgese who created one of the 5 internal altars. The canvases of Roman and Neapolitan artists that adorned the altars, during the restoration of the building were dismantled and kept in the adjoining Museum of Preclassic Civilizations obtained inside the district of the convent. Address: Via Cattedrale n. 42, Ostuni, (BR)
Church of St. James of Compostela
Located on Via Bixio Continelli under one of the 7 bridges which can be found along this street. . The Gothic arch that surmounts the entrance portal, embroidered with floral and anthropomorphic motifs, is of great artistic interest. Inside the structure has a very simple style, due to its small size. There are two statues of Saints Cosmas and Damian, an altar in gentle stone and an 18th century canvas depicting Saint Irene. Address: Via Bixio Continelli n. 90, Ostuni (BR)
Rebuilt by the Angevins between 1350 and 1356 in a “sack” manner, they saw a substantial expansion in the year 1487 and by the Aragonese. Following the earthquake of 1743 they were largely demolished or incorporated into private buildings, given the impossibility of repairing the damage received from the towers and curtains. This operation of allotment of the city walls allowed the city’s coffers to increase public revenues, through the collection of censuses for the construction of private buildings. Address: Viale Oronzo Quaranta, Ostuni (BR)
Porta S. Demetrio
It is the oldest gate preserved from the medieval city, marked by an ogival arch, built in 1303. The road leading to Brindisi started from Porta San Demetrio, facing east of the city walls. On the inner side of the door, at a height of 3 meters, the ancient stone hinges are still present with large holes in the center, used to spin the bands or jambs of the massive doors, allowing them to open in the morning and close in the evening . Address: Via Stefano Trinchera n.1, Ostuni (BR)
It was the third gate, situated to the west of the city, it was called “Li Carrare” for the use that was made in those days of wagons, trolls, carts and carriages. It was built around 1346 under the rule of Count Ugo Sanseverino, Principal of the Province of Terra d’Otranto, when Robert I reigned, of royal and very generous lineage. The superintendent of the works was Giovanni, son of Principe Rinaldo.
Church of S. Maria della Stella (formerly Porticella)
Originally known as Santa Maria della Porticella – a small popular church built in 1404 next to the only pedestrian gate on the city walls – from 1585 the structure changed its name to Santa Maria della Stella and at the beginning of the 17th century by order of the rector Abbot Antonio Anglani, will undergo a substantial expansion. In 1833 following the serious structural damage caused by the earthquake of 1743, the church was completely rebuilt in a sober and classical style, having received the contribution of the Municipality of Ostuni. Address: Via Leonardo Clemente n.123, Ostuni, (BR)
Gate of the Bridge
Last in order of construction but not of importance, it is so called because the building had a bridge that leveled the valley between the “La Pescina” district and the Piazza del Moro (currently Largo Lanza). Together with the Juse Gate it played an important defensive role since it found itself defending the lower part of the City and consequently, the one most exposed to enemy attacks. It was the only access point to having two towers placed inside, with an annexed military installation that was used to review the wagons of foreigners who asked to enter the city. For this reason he was given the name of “Customs Gate”.
Church of St. Francis of Assisi
Built for the first time in 1304 in Gothic style and annexed to the ancient monastic complex of the Franciscan fathers, it was rebuilt undergoing important transformations in 1615. During the second half of the eighteenth century, following the reconstruction of the convent by the Franciscan fathers, the church underwent further restoration based on a project by the architect Pietro Magarelli. In 1883 the façade underwent a further change designed by the famous architect Gaetano Jurleo, with the intention of being harmonized with the prospectus of the monastic complex which in the meantime became the seat of the Town Hall. Address: Piazza della Libertà, Ostuni, (BR)
Spire of St. Oronzo
The popular belief states that Saint Oronzo in 1740, spared the City of Ostuni from a wave of plague.
That was why the City elected Saint Oronzo as its patron saint and in 1771 decided to build this monument in his honor.
It was the architect Giuseppe Greco who sculpted it in Baroque style.
At the top of the monument is the statue of the saint, dressed in episcopal vestments and intent on blessing the population.
Address: Piazzetta Sant’Oronzo